Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An Evening with Pablo Jueves

As one of the most elusive living visual artists, Mr. Pablo Jueves is a man of intrigue as much as he is a man of exsquisite creativity providing the platform for what contemporary artists such as Felix Larios refer to as post-contemporary reformism. An influence to illustrators as much as he is to fellow fine artists, Jueves crosses seemingly invisible barriers of art and design while keeping his audience captivated: constantly waiting for more.

I was lucky enough to bump into Pablo last Thursday at his favorite weekly hang-out (which due to his reclusive nature he has asked me to not name in this article.) Well into his 70s, Pablo is famous for not knowing his actual age, place of birth (he assumes it is San Salvador) or whereabouts of his birth certificate. Despite his emmense popularity and international fame, he remains an undocumented person.

John Barry: I have known of your work since I was in grade school, but my art teachers would frequently question whether or not you actually existed. Actually, it has been the topic of several lectures I've attended. How would you respond to this?

Pablo Jueves: I prefer not to address such questions. I am here in the flesh. I am sitting. How is the sun here? Or the earth? Does the wind have identification? But these things - we know they exist. They are our life. Our blood. Does life need paper to exist?

JB: Of course not. But you are something of a Santa Claus to the art world.

PJ: People see my art. They recognize it. They say things such as, "I could draw such a thing. This Jueves does not need to. Why does he?"

JB: You don't need to.

PJ: Of course I do not. But the world wills it. Just as the world wills my existence. The world wills life.

JB: Critics often say the difference between your work and other artists' is that your pieces are alive.

PJ: (Laughing) Alive! Paint and canvas - they are inanimate. How can one say such nonsense? These critics - they know words but not meanings. Words are inexpensive. Mankind speaks billions and billions of words each day.

JB: I don't quite follow you.

PJ: There is a town in Mexico. Very tiny. In the center is a well. But the well has no water. No one lives in this town. Alas!

JB: When was the last time you made a public appearance?

PJ: I never make a public appearance, as you say. But I talk to you, do I not? The great Santa Claus!

JB: Meeting with you has been such an honor, Mr. Jueves. If you had one thing to tell the world right now, what would it be?

Pablo Jueves remained silent for the rest of the interview.  He casually sipped his espresso and drew sketches of people walking on the street. Pablo now has a Facebook account and encourages his fans to add him as a friend.

Pablo Jueves will be displaying work at the New Artmichael Gallery in Toronto, Canada on June 23rd. Tickets are only available in advance and can be bought through the mail. Please send $55.00 a person to:

the New Artmichael Gallery c/o John C. Barry
176 McCaul Street
Toronto, ON
M5T 1W4

Only ten tickets are available. Sales are first come, first serve. Limit 2 per customer.





Share
|





No comments: